Finally I can share my favorite recipe for a traditional Danish rye bread with sourdough. As a Dane, that’s actually quite an honor.
Growing up in Denmark you’ve been eating rye bread since before you learned how to walk. It’s a must have for every Dane and there are plenty good reasons why.
Baking a rye bread is a time-consuming project, but once you’ve baked your first rye bread nothing can stop you. That feeling when you’ve been waiting for days for the rye bread to prepare, baking it, waiting for it to cool and cutting the first slice (yumm.!!) – that feeling is beyond amazing.
It’s so easy to make, even though it takes a couple of days to finish. The only thing you have to do is: find a big mixing bowl, add the ingredients, stir thorough and then the sourdough will do its magic.
Due to the time-consuming process, I usually make two breads at a time. If we won’t be able to finish both of them before it’s too late, I freeze one of them.
Why are we so fanatic about our beloved rye bread?
- Super filling (It will keep you full for several more hours than white bread)
- Good source to dietary fibers
- A great way to consume healthy fatty acids such as omega-3 and omega-6
Traditional Danish Rye Bread with Sourdough
Yield 1 bread
- ½ cup sourdough
- 3 cups water
- 2½ tablespoons salt
- 1 cup cracked rye
- 3 cups rye flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup flax seeds
- 1½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup almonds
- 1¾ cup rye flour
- 1 tablespoon nigella damascena (optional)
- ½ cup sesame seeds (optional)
- Refresh your sourdough 8 to 24 hours before use, adding 2-3 tbsp. flour + needed water.
- Day 1 - Combine all ingredients for day 1 and set aside for the next day.
- Day 2 - Add the remaining ingredients and transfer to a baking tin. Drizzle with sesame seeds.
- Let rest for 2 hours.
- Place in a cold oven and bake for 1 hour and 50 minutes in 400F.
- Remove from baking tin immediately after baking and place on a cooling rack. To achieve the right "moist" cover with a wet kitchen towel. Allow to rest overnight before slicing.
Serving size: 1 (out of 25)
Calories: 175 Fat: 8.2 Carbohydrates: 23.3 Fiber: 7.1 Protein: 5.7