This mouthwatering ‘Spinach & Artichoke Pasta’ is not only creamy and satisfying → the use of the breadcrumbs brings a crunchy twist.
It’s easy to prepare and tasteful. This recipe is based on four simple elements → penne pasta, cauliflower sauce, spinach and artichoke hearts. These four elements makes this recipe not only mouthwatering, but also irresistible. The sour taste of artichoke hearts and the cheesy taste of nutritional yeast goes perfectly well together.
Why use artichoke hearts?
If you ask me, there are tons of goodies about artichoke hearts. As a matter of fact, it’s my absolute favorite canned vegetable and I can assure you that will never dare running out of it. I add it on top of pizza, open-faced sandwiches or any other occasion where I can get away with it. So therefore, I had to share a meal where the main substance has been assigned to this wonder of a vegetable.
Artichoke hearts brings a good bite to the meal and it also brings a super delicious sour taste, which goes along very well with the ‘cheesy’ cauliflower sauce.
- Making the cauliflower sauce, you can additionally replace water when blending the mixture. You can therefore blend with 1 cup artichoke water (if you prefer and more sour taste) or simply blend with 1 cup water.
- Like it cheesy? You can simply add more nutritional yeast. If you do so, you might also want to add a bit more water and salt.
Spinach & Artichoke Pasta
Yield 6 servings
- 1 lb penne pasta
For the cauliflower sauce
- 3 cups raw cauliflower, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts (make sure to reserve ½ cup artichoke liquid)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¾ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Dash of black pepper
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup artichoke liquid
- ½ lb. raw spinach
- ⅛ cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- ⅛ cup black sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Prepare pasta according to the package directions.
- In a large skillet, add onions, garlic and heat over medium-high heat. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, until the onions are slightly tender. Add cauliflower and 1 cup water. Bring to boil and let cook until the cauliflower performs tender. The water should evaporate, but if that doesn't occur, then strain the liquid through sieve.
- Transfer into your blender or food processor and add 1 can of drained artichoke hearts, Dijon mustard, spices, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, ½ cup artichoke liquid, ½ cup water and blend on high-speed.
- In the meantime, place spinach on your skillet and steam for 2 minutes.
- In your skillet, combine spinach, cauliflower sauce, penne pasta and the remaining artichoke hearts (chopped into ¼ pieces).
- Pour mixture into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs and black sesame seeds.
- Roast for 20 minutes in 400 F.
Serving size: 1 out of 8
Calories: 425 Fat: 4.2 Carbohydrates: 84 Sugar: 3.6 Fiber: 7.8 Protein: 16.3