Morning buns are one of my favorite eatings in the morning. Not only because its ability to fill your stomach with long-lasting nutrients, but also because of the fact that it is a great breakfast to bring on-the-go.
Eating morning buns are for sure a thing here in Denmark and most other nordic located contries. Why are we so enthusiastic about our morning buns?
I cannot give you any right answers to that, but I know why I personally love them.
MY THREE FAVORITES
#1 There are so many topping options (also as a vegan) – peanut butter, jam, hummus, avocado, tomatoes, nut butter, tahini dressing, bean spread, pesto etc.
#2 Its easy to prepare the night before. Only using a whisk, which means no dirty dough-finger.
#3 They can also work as a sandwich bun. Cut into half and fill with hummus, falafel and vegetables and you may have your next lunch.
I use two tablespoon to place these buns on the baking sheet (as you can see on the left located picture bellow). This method often brings very rough or even bombastic surface.
That is also why I always flatten them with wet fingers. Simple just dipping my fingers into water and immediately flatten the buns (as you can see on the right located picture bellow).
Poppy Seed Mornings Buns
Yield 6 buns
- 2 cups water
- ½ package (5 grams) dry yeast
- 4½ cup all purpose wheat flour
- 4 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- In a big bowl, combine water and dry yeast.
- Add the first two cups flour and combine.
- Add salt, poppy seeds and and 1½ cup more flour. Please notice that you won't be able to knead the dough by hands (this dough tend to be kind of 'wet', but at the same time firm and elastic).
- Place dough covered in the fridge and let rest overnight (or in a warm spot for 1½ hour)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place each bun on a clean baking sheet, using two tablespoons.
- After you have placed the buns, flatten off each one of them, using wet fingers (as described on the pictures above)
- Bake the buns for 18-20 minutes.
Serving size: 1 out of 6
Calories: 372 Fat: 3.5 Carbohydrates: 72.9 Sugar: 0.8 Fiber: 3.1 Protein: 10.7