It’s the perfect add-on to your sandwich, salad, burger or even pizza. There are plenty opportunities with a jar of these ‘Pickled Red Onions’ in your refrigerator.
Personally, I’m totally obsessed with all kinds of pickled veggies. I got to admit that the sweet and sour taste really does satisfy my taste buds. These pickled red onions are super easy and they’re definitely going to bring your sandwich to the next level.
This is the easiest recipe on how to make the most delicious pickled red onions, only requiring five minutes of your time and seven simple ingredients.
Pickled Red Onions
Yield 1 32 oz. jar
- 1 1/4 cup vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
- 1 1/4 cup water
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 5 bay leaves
- 1-2 tbsp. mixed peppercorn
- 2 to 3 medium red onions
- In a medium casserole, place vinegar, water, cane sugar, bay leaves, salt and peppercorn. Heat over medium heat and stir frequently until the sugar dissolves.
- Meanwhile, peel the red onions, cut in half and slice as thinly as possible. Place in large jar afterwards (I used a 32 oz. jar).
- Pour liquid into the jar and make sure that all onions are completely submerged. Seal the jar immediately and let cool in room temperature.
- Refrigerate overnight or at least 3 to 4 hours before serving.
Serving size: 1 (out of 15)
Calories: 36 Fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 9.7 Sugar: 7.8 Fiber: 0.4 Protein: 0.3