These 10-minute ‘Healthy Rum Truffles’ are here to rock your world. They’re oil-free, nut-free and of course cruelty free. I remember eating lots of rum truffles as a kid and honestly I think these bad boys taste just like I remember them – despite these are much healthier.
If you go to an average bakery in Denmark you’ll find several kinds of rum truffles. Some of them are rolled in coconut, some are rolled in cocoa and some of them might be rolled in rainbow colored sprinkles. The ones you’ll find at the Danish bakeries are basically just “cakes from yesterday, which wasn’t sold” mashed into a big dough and then seasoned with some rum essence. This explanation probably makes it sound really disgusting, but I remember eating them before going vegan and they were so delicious!
Just like you probably expect – the ones you’ll find at the bakeries are loaded with saturated fat, refined sugar and other processed nutrition’s. And that’s actually the reason I created this recipe on ‘Healthy Rum Truffles’ → they are fat free, nutrient-rich and all natural. What’s not to like?
Favorites about these rum truffles
- My two favorite things about rum truffles are the sticky texture and the hint of rum (oh my goodness.. saying that makes me want to have one right now!)
- These truffles are nut free, oil free and refined sugar free. They’re sweetened with dates and loaded with natural sugar. They’re low in fat, unlike most other date truffles. I developed the recipe without nuts; instead I used old-fashioned oats.
- 1 truffle contains nothing less than 2.2 gram fiber and 1.0 gram protein.
- They’re suitable for gluten intolerant (just make sure to use gluten free oats)
Healthy Rum Truffles
Yield 15 truffles
- 1½ cup medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons raw cocoa
- 2½ tablespoons rum essence
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- Add all ingredients to your food processor and blend until smooth.
- Shape each truffle and roll them in shredded coconut.
- Let cool for 1 hour to attain the firmest truffles.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Serving size: truffle
Calories: 75 Fat: 1.7 Carbohydrates: 16.1 Sugar: 11.5 Fiber: 2.2 Protein: 1.0